This site is devoted to preserving the accomplishments and history of NCIS, NIS and ONI. Although build out continues, the site already contains over 800 items including:
- 500 documents, many formerly classified, such as:
- 100+ ONI/NIS/NCIS Bulletins dating back to 1957
- CI/intelligence manuals such as: the Duties of Naval Attaches (1919); Notes on Espionage, Counter-espionage and Passport Control (1935); and the Naval Intelligence Manual (1949).
- Extensive reporting on Japanese espionage activities and ONI counteractions during WWII
- Photos and personal accounts of NIS personnel serving in Vietnam
- Charter documents such as General Order 292 which created the Office of Naval Intelligence in 1882; President Roosevelt’s 1939 letter which gave jurisdiction for espionage cases to FBI, ONI and Army Intelligence; SECNAV James Forrestal’s 1945 letter which expanded ONI’s investigative mission; and SECDEF McNamara’s letter which directed creation of a naval investigative service
- 300+ photos including 40+ official leadership photos.